• Migration is Beautiful

    "Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. immigration issues."

    - I am OTHER

  • Harvest of Empire

    The Untold Story of Latinos in America “We are all Americans of the New World, and our most dangerous enemies are not each other, but the great wall of ignorance between us.”

    Juan González, Harvest of Empire

Featured Post

Migration is Beautiful | Favianna Rodriguez | I am OTHER

"Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. ...

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Favorite quotes from "part asian - 100% hapa"

In the book part asian - 100% hapa,
participants were asked to answer the question "Who are you?"

thai, indian, scottish, lithuanian

Really? You don't look Thai. Well let me look again. Yeah now I
can see it around your eyes. You know Thai food is my favorite.
Were you born in Thailand? Do you speak, what is it, Thai-wanese?
Do you dream in English or Thai-wanese? You really don't
have an accent at all.

japanese, swedish, english, irish
I am the dialectic of the melting pot.
I am samurai - annoyingly errogant, intellectually
fearless, eyes trained to observe, mind to reflect.
I seek communion but do not dwell on sentiment.
I am my Nisei mom's obssession to prove democracy's
eventual triumph.
I am the privelege of freedom - a white man walking
away from whiteness.
I am World War II. After Internment, my mom moved
to chicago where she met my WWII veteran dad. I
am the world opening up. I am my parents defying
war's prejudice & confusion by making babies to love.
But mostly I am "mixed". That's what we called it back
in '69, when I was in sixth grade. Now I teach sixth
graders, & many of them still use the term "mixed". I
like being mixed. It is a good tribe to be in, &
it has many brothers & sisters.

guamanian, filipino
I am a Family Man / People person

====================================

chinese, english, scottish, german

My last boyfriend told me he liked me because of my race.
So I dumped him.

====================================

japanese, french, cherokee, irish

I am millions of particles fused together
making up a far les than perfect
masterpiece. I am the big bang.

====================================

1 comment:

  1. I put my comments over here

    Thai
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=community%20village&uname=getgln&psc=F&cuname=getgln#5499086144995437170

    Family Man
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=community%20village&uname=getgln&psc=F&cuname=getgln#5499086975912156546

    Mixed
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=community%20village&uname=getgln&psc=F&cuname=getgln#5499086597908792626

    ReplyDelete