• Migration is Beautiful

    "Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. immigration issues."

    - I am OTHER

  • Harvest of Empire

    The Untold Story of Latinos in America “We are all Americans of the New World, and our most dangerous enemies are not each other, but the great wall of ignorance between us.”

    Juan González, Harvest of Empire

Featured Post

Migration is Beautiful | Favianna Rodriguez | I am OTHER

"Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. ...

Sunday, May 22, 2011

What ARE you?!

So many of us have had to deal with this question; sometimes cloaked as "Where are you from?". Both questions can feel like a micro agression. However, their motive may simply be selfish curiosity, but often in a dubious attempt to categorize us into a "race" or ethnicity box.
The way I answer depends on the intension I perceive from the interrogator. The best universal answer is:

"I'll tell you -- if you first tell me what you are / where you're from."

If you feel the interrogator has dubious intent, have a little fun and create a teaching moment.
Q. Where are you from?
A1. (city of residence)

Q. No, I mean originally.
A2. (city of birth)

Q. No, I mean where are your parents from?
A3. Oh, Do you mean "What's my ethnic heritage?"

OR

Q. What are you?
A. How do you mean?

Q. What "race" are you?
A. I'm from the human race. Do you mean "What's my ethnic heritage?"

To learn more about what we are click here

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how many times I've heard that question; unfortunately it's become second-skin. I agree when it comes to that kind of question, understanding the interrogator's intent or context of the question is important. That question sounds comical at face value, like asking a person what type of thing they are. Thanks for the practical yet positive advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Caroline Thank you for commenting my sister. I listen to a weekly podcast call "Mixed Chicks Chat" and the first question they ask all their guests is "What are you?" =D

    ReplyDelete