• Migration is Beautiful

    "Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. immigration issues."

    - I am OTHER

  • Harvest of Empire

    The Untold Story of Latinos in America “We are all Americans of the New World, and our most dangerous enemies are not each other, but the great wall of ignorance between us.”

    Juan González, Harvest of Empire

Featured Post

Migration is Beautiful | Favianna Rodriguez | I am OTHER

"Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. ...

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Panda Color

by Glenn Robinson

This is a script for my Panda Color video.
The final production went off script.

===

I was showin' my brother a cool Def Poetry video on YouTube and he says "Eh, I'm not feelin it." Then he says: "Glenn, I've noticed that you seemed to be attracted to things that are --- non-white."

Yeah, and your point is?

{Transition}

My wife told me that I only married her because she is Mexican.
What!? That hurt my feeling.
I said to her, "If you want to over simplify -- I married you because you're not white."
Like my friend said:
"You know what the problem with white people is? Lack of pigmentation."

When I was a kid a liked three things

Number 1: Black and White animals
Number 2: Half and half swirled ice cream cones.
Number 3: One stuffed animal.

My brother is wrong. I do like white things.

Number 1: I like milk ... with coffee
Number 2: I like rice ... with soy sauce.
Number 3: I like vanilla... chocolate chip icecream ... with chocolate syrup.

When we were at the gift shop at the San Diego Wild Animal park -- I was curious to know if my daughter would like the cute little stuffed panda the way I did. She didn't. She looked through all the lions, tigers, bears, birds, snakes, and picked... a quail.

I guess brown and gray are the new black and white.

What did you like when you were a kid - and still like now?



===

Glenn is of the Irish, German, Dutch, English and Austrian diaspora. He is taken - by Charo - who is of Spanish and Amerindian heritage. They have two children (made in California). Glenn documents oppression; connect communities; and likes sociology, anthropology, psychology and history.

Connect to Glenn at CommunityVillage.us

No comments:

Post a Comment