• Migration is Beautiful

    "Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. immigration issues."

    - I am OTHER

  • Harvest of Empire

    The Untold Story of Latinos in America “We are all Americans of the New World, and our most dangerous enemies are not each other, but the great wall of ignorance between us.”

    Juan González, Harvest of Empire

Featured Post

Migration is Beautiful | Favianna Rodriguez | I am OTHER

"Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. ...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Forced to Choose a Race - Birth Certificate Dictatorship


I had the opportunity to "refuse to state" at the birth of both of my children.

For our first child the Birth Certificate Lady asked what 'race' we were. I remember being uncomfortable (and ignorant), we just said 'white' & Hispanic. For our second child I was making a quick trip to the house to drop off Abuelita when my wife called me to let me know that the Birth Certificate Lady was asking her to sign the form which had the 'race' info copied from our first kid. My wife said the form has a "Hispanic" check box and a place to write in up to three races. I asked my wife to write in Indigenous Native American for one of her "races".  She didn't feel comfortable with that. I wanted to see what the form looked like before I decided. I asked her to wait until I got back to the hospital.

When I arrived back, the Birth Certificate Lady had already persuaded my wife to sign the form (as is) because they were (supposedly) running up against some deadline. I went to her office and asked to change it and she said I would have to file a petition. What do you think? Should I file a petition to change my 'race' on my children's birth certificate to 'human' or 'refuse to state'?



2 comments:

  1. human! i would've gone for "refuse to state," but since she already made the decision for you, go with "human."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feed back Melody =)
    I've update this blog 'cause I had misremembered, they don't ask the 'race' of the kid - they ask the 'races' of the parents.

    ReplyDelete