• Migration is Beautiful

    "Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. immigration issues."

    - I am OTHER

  • Harvest of Empire

    The Untold Story of Latinos in America “We are all Americans of the New World, and our most dangerous enemies are not each other, but the great wall of ignorance between us.”

    Juan González, Harvest of Empire

Featured Post

Migration is Beautiful | Favianna Rodriguez | I am OTHER

"Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. ...

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Getting Along in Multicultural America


Steven F. Riley of Mixed Race Studies emailed a link to me of
Charles A. Gallagher, Professor and Chair on Race and Ethnic Relations, Urban Sociology and Inequality. The first article that Gallagher had listed was titled "white reconstruction in the university" (lower case is his).

On the first page are quotes from students. This particular quote I found to be heartfelt but tragicomic.

[Many blacks] don't want to talk to me because I'm white. They think that I'm racist. They are prejudging me. And I feel I have to be extra nice to them because I feel I am doing something wrong by being white. I feel like I am being racist because I am white....I want them to know that I'm not racist because I don't want them to have to feel uncomfortable. But they make me feel uncomfortable because I think that they think I'm a racist.

Being a European-American and living in the U.S. my whole life I can understand the sentiment of this college student. How does one embody a light skinned phenotype and make people of color feel comfortable? Or at least not instill fear in them?

1. Be warm, friendly and embracing.

2. If you don't have a warm, friendly and embracing personality -- wear your heart on your sleeve. Wear a Bob Marley tshirt, a peace sign, tie-dye clothing or all three to send a sure fire message of "I am not a racist".



3. Carry business cards to hand out that say 'I am not a racist.'

Why should you bend over backwards and go out of your way to make people of color feel at ease?

Because you're a nice person of course. 

2 comments:

  1. "...they make me feel uncomfortable because I think that they think I'm a racist." This is probably one of the biggest problems that has stemmed from segregation and it won't go away until we desegregate ourselves...PERIOD....lol...business cards won't do it...LOL. The idea that telling someone you're "not racist" will clear up the discomfort is beyond laughable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a button pinned to my shirt that says "I'm not racist. You can relax" ;)

    ReplyDelete