• Migration is Beautiful

    "Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. immigration issues."

    - I am OTHER

  • Harvest of Empire

    The Untold Story of Latinos in America “We are all Americans of the New World, and our most dangerous enemies are not each other, but the great wall of ignorance between us.”

    Juan González, Harvest of Empire

Featured Post

Migration is Beautiful | Favianna Rodriguez | I am OTHER

"Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. ...

Monday, January 2, 2012

How to Raise a 'White' Child

Glenn Robinson (that's me)

There's a new book by Tiffany Rae Reid about how to raise a 'biracial' child which got me thinking what a book would say about raising a 'mono-racial' child.

Society would label me 'mono-racial' despite the fact that I don't believe in the notion of pure 'races', nor the notion of biological 'races'.

I had to decipher my own identity as an adult.

I was not taught why 'white' became a racialized term; that 'races' were invented to divide humans politically and in turn justify theft of land and resources, and justify slavery and oppression.

I was not taught the difference between 'white' culture and 'white' phenotype; that any phenotype can have 'white' culture; that 'white' culture actually means European culture.

I was not taught to embrace the term European-American. I was not taught to recognize my foreignness in the Americas. I was not taught that I am a guest in the Americas; that I am descended from families of invaders who used their technology (guns) to bully their way and murder their way onto Native American territory.

I was never told that I had the option (or even better - the responsibility) to reject the 'white' label for what I really am, a European American living on Native American land.


===

Glenn is a European-American married to a Mexican-American. They have two children. Glenn is interested in progressive immigration reform, and desegregation within schools and communities. He is a life long learner with interests in sociology, anthropology, psychology, history and politics.
Connect to Glenn at CommunityVillage.us

No comments:

Post a Comment