The Untold Story of Latinos in America “We are all Americans of the New World, and our most dangerous enemies are not each other, but the great wall of ignorance between us.”
Juan González, Harvest of Empire
"Meet powerhouse artist/activist Favianna Rodriguez — a leading voice in the movement of artists raising awareness about U.S. immigration issues."
- I am OTHER
Monday, July 8, 2013
Are Nationalists the new Segregationists?
For most of U.S. history there have been segregationists. Today you don't hear of them so much because times have changed - or have they?
Here is where they re-focused their energy:
- Segregate by building more prisons (New Jim Crow)
- Fill the prisons by creating a "War on Drugs" - which is a war primarily on black and brown people. The stop-n-frisk statistics prove it.
- Continue defacto school segregation by limiting public school attendance based on residential zip codes.
- Segregate the U.S. from the brown "others" by building a wall at the U.S. Mexico border
- Increasing ICE raids to segregate Hispanic Latinos out of the U.S.